Sunday, March 8, 2015

March 7, 2015 Spring Fest in Salt Lake City

After getting little to no sleep, we were up and at 'em early this morning.   I know we had a whole dressing room to change into to get ready for our belly dance performance but I wanted to get dressed a the hotel and not have to worry about anything.

I got my make up (including fake lashes) on and all of my costume (except jingle hip scarf).  I put on my cover up (veil) and went downstairs for breakfast.  I stood in line and this elderly gentleman dressed in a long sleeved flannel shirt turns around and doesn't just look at me and notice me.  But he very obviously looks at me up and down with a look of "WTF" on his face.  I could not believe he look on his face.  I have never felt so awkward in my life.  Oh wait.. I remember feeling that awkward at 13 years old in a London Subway Station when some man his his 20s or 30's was talking to my mom about me and when he found out I was 13 he walked 360 degrees around me looking me up and down and in shock.  OMG.  AWKWARD CREEPER.  Ya.  That is the way I felt when this man looked at me.  Though I don't think h was a creeper.  I think he was confused on whether or not to say, "Wow, she is pretty.. or Wow.. what a whore!"  I think he had to wrestle with some kind of guilt and shame when he looked at me.  I should say that with my cover up on, I was modest!  I was not showing skin in appropriately.  Later, his wife gave me the "what for" face.  I really wanted to say something to them, but I had to remember I was in Salt Lake City, he heart of LDS land and I wanted to represent my sisters well.  But ugh!!!  The only saving grace to that breakfast was that another older couple got very excited when they heard there was a belly dance festival in town. *laugh*

Spring Fest was so much fun! I love haflas (belly dance parties). I love seeing all the different styles of dancing and the costumes. I love the shopping opportunities, even if I didn't shop.  I love the time spent with my belly dance sisters.  I even got to hug someone I knew from my roller derby days;  Joleen (or Busty) lives and dances in Salt Lake.  But that is the things about belly dancing, or roller derby or burlesque... it's a sisterhood. Once a sister, always a sister.   Boise was well represented in at Spring Fest.  I saw some amazing performances including a set of moms and their 2 beautiful 4 year old daughters.  That dance was filled with so much joy.  There was  fusion dance that included a very steampunk feeling.. dancing with a corset on.. YIPES!   Finally, it was our turn to perform.  We did so well!  I was so excited.  I'm sure there were some stumbles (like me), but it was amazing!  The stage was nice and big and easy to dance on.  The audience was attentive and clapping and smiling.  Our dance was so much fun.  There really is nothing better than being on stage and celebrating being a woman.

This trip gave me and Omi a chance to hang together.  Yesterday, I saw her relax and smile and just be.  She got some henna done (her favorite thing to do).  She was all huggy and appreciative of the trip. She was a pure joy to be around, and she had even less sleep than I did.  *laugh*  Poor girl stuck in a room with 2 snorers.

After Spring Fest, we decided to find a french bakery to have lunch.   We had talked about finding bakeries on the way there.  And now that we were leaving and hungry, it was decided that is what we needed.  We were so excited to find one.  The food was amazing.  The pastries for dessert were fabulous. It was certainly one of those decadent treats we don't get every day.  It was a truly special time spent with Naomi and our dance sister Dawn (who was our driver).

It's funny.  You never really know how well you are going to get along with someone when you travel with them.  Sure I have known dawn for a couple of years.  We have been dance sisters, but have never really spent alot of quality time together.  And now we were car mates and making this trip together.  Turns out, we can talk for 5 hours straight with ease!  *laugh*  We travel really well together.  We like mom and pop places to eat.  We both think "if we can get that at home.. why get it while on the road."  We both like coastal states.  We both like to explore and diversity.  We certainly enjoyed our car rides together.  It's fun to find out that you can travel well with someone.  Actually, the whole weekend was fun.  So many women from our studio went and with that many, there are lots of personalities to consider.  Omi and I shared a room with Heidi, someone we have never had a class with and have never even had conversations with.  She was very sweet and asked Omi to help her with her hair..    These kinds of trips really help you bond together better, and I think our studio needed that a bit.  It was tons of fun and I'm really glad that we made this happen for Omi and I and I'm so very grateful for Tracy's support!  When we were sitting in the bakery finishing up our lunch, Omi said, "I needed this trip."  Yes, she did.

By the time we got on the road, I had not only realized what an amazing time I had had, but also that someone had managed to give me a cold.. NOT what I needed.  When I got home, I was like a dead person.  Dayquil is my friend!  Ah well... no time to be sick right now.  I'm home from Spring Fest and it's time to focus on Frankly Burlesque: Favorite Things.  No rest for the wicked!



No comments:

Post a Comment