Sunday, January 25, 2015

January 25, 2015 Shake Shimmy and Roll

It's a burlesque kind of night!!!!

But before it was burlesque, it was church this morning......

Rev. Jackie talked about Worry and how it steals your happiness and keeps you from reaching your goals.  It was pretty interesting.  She started talking and for whatever reason, I kept correlating it to running a marathon and the things we do and learn while running.    I took notes and I guess I lost them and now I can't remember what I wrote down.   But what I do remember is that we need to dedicate ourselves to a/the higher power (whatever that looks like to you).    Once we do that, then we need to listen to that quiet voice that speaks to us.   The we need to take courageous action.   These 3 things relate to any goal you set in your life.  Running... dancing...relationships...everything.

Today it hit me about running...  We dedicate ourselves to this goal and and some kind of higher power.  In Religious Science we believe that we and God are one.. so we dedicate ourselves to ourselves.  Then we listen.  Often times while we run, it is quiet and we are alone and it is during this time that we get many insights about life and creativity.  I love the quiet moments on my run when I get the answers to the world :).  Running, taps me in to that higher power, clears my head, puts me in the moment and allows me to listen for answers.  It's amazing.  Then we must take bold action. In running, that means getting out and actually training and DOING it.  Push yourself to go further, go faster, be stronger.  Be bold.  Don't look back.  Just do it.  When we release worry, we are able to live in the NOW.  And in the present, there is only love and happiness.

Not sure if I spend my time worrying now or if I am just sad.  *shrug*  But I do my best to stay in the moment, and its hard when I am looking back and missing my son.  But I can tell you, that once I got home from church it was full on "in the moment" shit!  *laugh*  It was time to get ready for burlesque.

I came home from church, where I wore jeans and tshirt and went with wet hair.  I shaved my legs, put my hair in pin curls, ironed my pin up dress, put on my stage make up and got all kinds of dressed up.  *laugh*  I think its hilarious that I go to church in jeans and then go out all dressed up in pin up attire for the night.



I had the great privilege of helping Suzy do her hair.  She was so gorgeous tonight. Everyone told her how pretty her hair was and she just pointed to me and thanked me.  It was my honor to help her with her hair.  This whole burlesque process with Suzy has been amazing.  I love teaching and encouraging new fun things with my girls!  It has been so fun to watch Suzy blossom and come into her own through this experience.  That is what burlesque is all about!

We got to the bar early to meet with Shevaun and Linda (the other 2 in our dance).  We practiced on stage with the music on our phones and singing our version of the lyric-less song while we danced.  We were like silly kids just playing and being silly.  We didn't care who was watching us!  After we practiced we sat and visited for a while.  Linda just signed her divorce papers and this show was her "coming out" party as a single woman.  Suzy was looking at it as a "coming out" party for her as well.  Suzy said it was a "coming out" for me too.  Yes, I suppose so.  We three women all went through a major life change.. Linda divorcing, and Suzy and I losing Nick.  And there we were, all of us, smiling and celebrating life through burlesque!

There is nothing like the back stage of a burlesque performance.  Half dressed women, glitter, smiles, women helping each other in and out of costumes. It's a true sisterhood of love and encouragement.  I love that feeling.  And I got to watch Suzy and Shevaun and Linda experience it for the first time. It was so much fun!!!!

Suzy came up with an amazing name for our group, "Franky's Frisky Follies"  (Well it was Franky's Frisky Females, but Franky gave us Follies which was even better).  The 4 of us took the stage and shimmied our fringe off!  It was so much fun.  The audience was super amazing with lots of whistling, whooping and hollering!  We were flawless tonight!  And now everyone is addicted!  *laugh*  I am so proud of Suzy.

Tonight, the audience was filled with friends.  My friends Mishi, Chris and Dina came out to cheer us on.  Stef and a few other of Suzy's friends were out.  I had other friends from the community out there.  Man, I love how burlesque brings people together.

I am so very grateful for the gift of dance, creativity, artistry in my life!




No comments:

Post a Comment