Monday, February 16, 2015

February 15, 2015 Suzy's Birthday

I love when my kids have birthdays!  I love to celebrate them!  Even though I didn't give birth to this girl, I love her like she was my own and I was so excited to celebrate her day!  The first thought I had when I woke up was:  "it's Suzy's birthday!  Time to get up and get the place ready for the BBQ!"

We took Suzy to Blue Sky Bagels for birthday bagels then went grocery shopping for BBQ.  It's always a good thing when you can laugh while you are grocery shopping.

Once we were home, it was time for her to get ready for lunch with her dad and other members of her family.  I spent the rest of the day getting the house ready for her BBQ.

Then it was time to meet her for her tattoo. We had agreed the she would get her memorial tattoo on her birthday.  A burlesque sparkle sister is a tattoo artist and we chose her to do the tattoos for the family.  And we chose wisely, the tattoo is gorgeous!  We had a great visit with Donna while she was working on the tattoo.

Then it was home to do the BBQ.  We made burgers and sat outside by the fire pit and laughed and enjoyed the burgers and the stars and the cool night air. Then the excited birthday girl wanted to open her presents and have cake.  Singing "happy birthday" in this house is more like a round of chaos.. no one sings the same words or on tune and it is rather obnoxious. It's always fun!  Suzy's gifts were puzzles, crayons and coloring books.  She loved them all and we had a great time talking about the "cool things" we had when we were kids.  Suzy's generation had gel pens; our generation had that pin with 4 options of ink.  *laugh*  My how times have changed!

Once presents were opened, it was time for Cards Against Humanity.  There was tons of laughter and craziness. The only "downside" to any of it was the fact that we didn't take out the cards that trigger issues.  Usually, when its just family playing, those cards get picked and then instantly traded for more appropriate cards.  It just happens quietly and on ones "goes there".  But we were playing with Steff and Kyle and these cards did not get thrown out.  I do not know who had the cards.  But I do know that I had to read one of the cards and Nate had to read the other one.  It was hard to read them and hard to hear them. And for Omi it about made her cry. She stuck it out and continued playing with us.  But I could see it in her face.  She was already have a rough day (for whatever reason) but hearing these cards "Vehicular Manslaughter" and "Get married, moved to Florida have kids and die" were just too much for her.  *sigh*  Suzy and Nate managed to keep on swimming and laughing.

How do you juggle each child's feelings and emotions on another child's special day?   Ya.....This grief thing sucks.

Anyway,  all the beer we bought got drunk. Birthday cake got eaten.  Cheesecake was consumed.  Oh lord, I think I need to walk 5 more marathons to make up for this weekends food.

As I am writing this a day late (again) I also realize I didn't take any selfies yesterday....  So instead, I will post a picture of Suzy celebrating her day.


No comments:

Post a Comment