Friday, February 28, 2014

The Day After

I'm not entirely certain how I feel about what happened yesterday at the protest at the Capitol.  (Which is exactly what most people who have been in this position will tell you.)  There are a mixture of emotions.  Those of us who had agreed to be arrested were trained, but for us first-timers this was definitely an event that could not be described and prepared for..no matter how much training you got. Why?  Because everyone perceives things differently and because each action comes with its own challenges and opportunities.

As scared as I was before I left my house, by the time I got to the bar to meet my friends, the energy there completely shifted what was inside of me.  There were LOTS of people there between those who agree to get arrested and the support crew.  Every arrest action that happens, has several videographers making sure EVERYTHING gets filmed in case things need to be proved in the court of law.  We have people who are legal observers who write EVERYTHING down in case it needs to be used in a court of law.  This is no small undertaking and it is very serious.  Yet, the people that are part of this, go into it with a happy and hopeful heart.  The resolve of these people is enormous!  I have never met such a fine group of people!

Getting such a large crowd (over over 50 people all dressed in black) from the bar to the Capitol building in an inconspicuous way is quite a challenge.  Thank god for rainy days and umbrellas!

The Capitol was going to be very busy with 3 different protests.  The anti-gun on campus protesters (and their counter argument) were going to be there.  Another group from Ag-Gag were going to be there. And then there was our small little gathering.  Because of this, our fearless leader was a bit more protective of us and wanted to make sure we were all in one hall way and not spread apart.  We opted for the Senate Committee Meeting hall.  We had two lines of people blocking people from coming in and then we had some at the doors in the back blocking people from coming in. And other various doors blocked or people standing along walls in the hall way. Just to be clear, we would let anyone and every one who wanted out, out.  They just could not come in.

I happened to be in the 2nd row of the front lines blocking people from coming from the main part of the building into the  hallway.  From my point of view, I could see the crowd of people gathering above the small set of stairs wondering how they were going to get past us.  I saw people who stood their with signs in support of us.  I saw people who stood quietly with their hands over their mouths just like we did.  We had complete strangers join our ranks, until they heard the State Police were coming to arrest us.  We also had people yelling at us very angrily.

We are instructed NEVER to touch anyone.  But if someone touches us, we are instructed to yell "OUCH!"  That only happened once at the front lines.  Mostly we just blocked people from getting in.  The very front of the line held pictures of two young teens who were bullied for being gay and took their own lives.  These are the kids we stand for.  This is what we are trying to prevent by getting these words added..to protect them.  Reporters were there filming and interviewing one of the deceased teen's mom.  It was touching and had me in tears.  (Unfortunately that interview did not make the news, but a senator who is not happy with us did.)  But occasionally, in the back I could hear, "OUCH!  OUCH! OUCH!"  as one of my friends was being "touched" in a harsh way by someone trying to get through.  My heart ached.  I could not turn around.  I had no idea what was going on.  At one point in time, someone was actually being HIT.  A friend of mine in a wheel chair was being pushed aside by a senator in a harsh way.  All I could do was stand in my spot, with my hand over my mouth, fist clinched (in order to try and control my emotions) and cry for my friends.  We stand quietly. We stand respectfully.  We stand focused.  We stand peacefully to make change and to be seen for those who can not be seen.  And there were my friends yelling "OUCH!".  It was TENSE to say the least.  There had not been this kind of intensity at the protests before.  And I am so proud of my brothers and sisters who held that back line!




Eventually, the time came.  They came to warn us that if we did not move and allow for ingress and egress, we would be arrested.  We did not move.  The State Police came back and said again, we would be arrested.  We asked in unison, "Are we ALL under arrest?"  And they said, "No, but soon." They came back again, "You, you, you, you, and you.  Follow me."  The first five asked, "Are we under arrest?"  His reply, "Yes." And they peacefully followed.  I and a few others moved to close up the new gap.  A new State Police Officer came to us. "You, You, You You and You, come with me."  "Am I under arrest" I asked?  "Yes, you are."  I peacefully followed, never removing my hand from my mouth. Head held high, I walked through the crowd that had parted ways like Moses and the red sea.



These pictures were taken from KTVB


Standing at the line was emotional, but once we were arrested and taken by the State Police to be "processed" a whole new adventure began.  I have never been arrested.  These State Police were the friendliest people I have ever met.  Most of them even support what we are doing.  They were very careful with the handcuffs.  They fed us water from water bottles once we were cuffed.  They made sure we were taken care of.  They treated my new friend Patrick (who is transgendered Female to Male) with respect and asked how he identified to make sure they had the right officer search him.  We had so many protesters, we filled the room to overflow.  As soon as they had us processed, they moved us to the County Jail Bus so that more protesters could come in and get processed.  You've seen the sheriff buss before.   Plain color.  No windows.  And you think.. "Oh my gosh!  Criminals are in there!"  On the way to the bus, they had the walkways lined with police line tape.  That was  a first for me.  I was part of a crime scene.  And yes, more cameras were everywhere.  We filed onto the bus.  Those things are NOT comfortable!  Especially if you have your hands cuffed behind your back!  Because we had so many protesters, they had the big white bus and a black heavily tinted van as well.

Once we got to the County Jail, they kept us in the bus for a long time.  Most of the time, we talked about our cause.  How is it affecting the people we know.  What is the culture like in the schools in our area?  What area needs the most work and support.  Even in cuffs, we didn't stop working and we stayed focused.  Don't get me wrong, we also laughed a great deal.  After the tension of standing in the Capitol, the arrest almost seemed like a nice rest.  That is until, we had been stopped in the bus for such a long time that the air had gotten stuffy.  My hands had swollen up and the cuffs were cutting into my skin.

I was trying to be stoic.  Let's face it.  I must have broken some kind of law (though that is very debatable and I do not claim to be guilty of anything) I got arrested on my own free will. People who get arrested wear cuffs and its not supposed to be a walk in the park.  But this was down right painful and I was losing feeling to my pinkies.  (as a matter of fact, 24 hours later, I still have bruising on my right hand).  Finally, the amazing State Police Officer Janey came back to check on us and I asked if he had a spare pair of cuffs he could change out for mine.  He laughed and said, "All I have are these old fashioned metal ones on my belt."  I told him I would take ANYTHING if I could just get these zip ties off my hands.  I was feeling claustrophobic and about to pass out.  He went into the jail, got the cutters and came right back.  He was very gentle with me cutting them off.  He saw how swollen my hands had gotten and how the cuffs had cut into my flesh.  Then he turned me around and gave me his metal cuffs and just barely put them on me.  I could have wiggled out of them.  He was so sweet!

Finally, they let us off the bus and took the women to one holding cell.  It was a real jail cell with like 8 bunks and one cot on the floor.  2 "metal desks" and a "metal dining table with round stools attached".  There was a "bathroom" in the corner with no door.  A shower that had a curtain.  And a toilet with no door. And the room itself had 2 big windows in it, but they blocked it off for someones privacy...ours maybe?  While I was with my friends it was all good times.  We talked more about what was going on and getting to know each other better.

Then they took us by 3's to search us again and uncuff us then put us in a different room with more of our friends.  This was a huge room with a picture window so we could be seen and a toilet in the corner with only a little quarter wall for privacy.

Then they took us by 3's to get "processed" again....our names in the computer and our belongings confiscated and gone through.  These officers were just as friendly as the rest of them.  They told us they loved getting us because we had manners and were fun to talk to.  When the one officer asked if I had a tattoo, I thought he was going to jump out of his skin from shock!  *laugh* Never judge a book by its cover, buddy!

Once, they had all my info, they put me in my very own holding cell.  It was all cement.  A cement bed.  A metal toilet with NO privacy cause it was right next to the door with huge window.  AND the camera was directly above.  Nice!  The floors had yellow urine stains.  They weren't sticky, but I guess after having so many drunks in this room...it was bound to happen.  And THIS is when I started to feel a bit of fear and a bit of loneliness from being arrested.  I knew I was going to get out.  But I was in this room alone!  I could look out my window and see my friend Patrick who was across the hallway.  We gave each other the thumbs up to let each other know we were okay.  But still, we were alone.  I had started to sing.  I looked at Patrick and saw him singing as well.  I felt like singing was the only way I was going to stay sane in this jail cell by myself.  I started singing old hymns and changing the lyrics to fit the theme...turning them into Human Rights Chants. (Ha!  As I read this and edit it, that last statement about singing keeping me sane and Human Rights reminded me of slaves in the fields singing old spirituals.)

Finally, they took me out of there, and took my mug shot and my finger prints and it was another hour before I was released.  When I was finally released, I entered the waiting room to cheers and hugs from my friends who had gotten out and supporters who had arrived..and of course, my amazing hubby.



It really was quite the experience.  I can't put it all into words.  The things I saw.  The other prisoners who were there...the sadness in their eyes.  The fear in their eyes.  The craziness of the drunks.  The anger in some of them.  I can't imagine what it would be like to REALLY have to stay there!    But I guess the best part was the lesbian officer who knew we were there because we were out protecting her rights.  She can't do what we do or she would lose her job......but there she was processing our arrests.  She did so with great care and warmth and gratitude.

People wonder if we are making a difference or if we are just getting in the way and irritating the lawmakers.  The short answer is, we ARE making a difference.  Before they refused to even talk about us, now they are debating us.  We have enough votes to take it to the floor now!  That is the first time it has ever happened in 8 years of this journey!  So we ARE making a difference!

And last night in my solitary confinement as I re-wrote songs I had no idea what would happen with those songs.  Today, the plan was created.  I am hosting a sing along in the capitol on Monday, March 3rd at Noon...singing songs of freedom specifically worded to encourage our lawmakers to see us as neighbors and encourage them to remember their call to equality and do the right thing by adding the words!

Singing for Add The Words

Here's to change in Idaho!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment