Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My Best Self and Being Authentic....

Last week in Weigh Watchers we talked about what being our "best self" looks like.  I have been thinking about it all week, and I am about to head to my WW meeting for this week, and I decided I need to rush this blog out before I forget about it.

There was an assignment that was kind of like a Mad Lib where it has a paragraph where we had to fill in adjectives and actions and foods and stuff in the blanks....this was a "Best Self Portrait" in words.  Here is what mine said....

My best self is HAPPY and CONFIDENT.  My best self likes to DANCE and EXERCISE.  When faced with a challenge, my best self thinks "IT'S JUST A BUMP" and KEEPS MOVING FORWARD.  On a typical day, my best self chooses to eat FRUITS AND VEGGIES FOR SNACKS and DRINK 3 LITERS OF WATER.  In a typical week, my best self gets in a few workouts, including MEETING MY FRIEND AT THE GYM and A COUPLE MILES ON THE TRAILS.  My best self takes time out for relaxing, restoring breaks such as HAMMOCK TIME WITH MY HUBBY.  Overall, my best self feels JOY-FILLED about life.  If a new Weight Watchers member asked for my definition of success, my best self would say "LIFE'S A TRAMPOLINE FILLED WITH LOTS OF UPS AND DOWNS.  WE CAN CHOOSE TO SMILE AND LAUGH OR BE SCARED SHITLESS. IT'S MY CHOICE. I CHOOSE LAUGHTER!"


Last week she asked us alot of question about what our future self would look like, how she would behave, how she would eat, how she would walk to me.  They kind of went along with some other questions my friend Brandon had me thinking about just the week before.  What does being healthy mean to me now?  Why do I compare myself to others or even to my past self?  What are my strengths. What do I have control over now and what can I let go of?    What healthy things have I done in the last month?

So here's the thing.  I know people go to Weight Watchers to lose weight.  I go to keep myself accountable.  I go because it is a healthy place for me to go and feel safe and stay connected to a healthy part of me. I may not always make the healthiest food choices, but there I do love to exercise.  And there are behaviors that I practice that ARE healthy or promote self-health, and belly dancing and burlesque is part of that.

While contemplating these questions over the last 2 weeks, it has dawned on me, that I am the best me that I can be in this moment.  The best me that I could be 2 years ago was a different person with a different life circumstance than the best me now.  I am the best me that I can be in this NOW.  I have certain things in my life that I can not control, and that is okay. I don't have to control everything in my life.  But I can control how I let them affect me.  I realized that I spent a great deal of time comparing myself to a woman that I absolutely adore.  How come I can not have her body and look like her?  Then I remembered, she had the oppportunity to have surgery to look the way she does.  There is no way I will look like THAT unless I pay for a surgery.  And that is okay. I am the best me I can be in this moment.  And once I realized that, I was able to get up and perform and do burlesque with a smile on my face.  I do no have to lose weight and get to a certain size to be happy, but by being happy with who I am now, may one day get me to to a certain size... or not.. but at least I will be happy along the journey.

Now off to my WW meeting.. I'm late!

No comments:

Post a Comment