Friday, May 29, 2015

May 29, 2015 Latin Dancing... It's Good For The Soul...

Okay.. and so is massage for a cause!

My life is truly blessed!  I have so many things and people in my life to be grateful for.

Yesterday, I had big plans to go out country swing dancing with my new dance partner, Chris.  But by 5:30, I had not heard from him which meant he was probably stuck at work  and won't be able to go.  That is okay, I had stuff to do anyway.  But then my friend Linda messaged me and asked if I wanted to go to Frim Fram 4 last night.  I considered my options.  If Chris messaged me, we could dance at the Buffalo Club and then had to Frim Fram 4 later.  So my answer to Linda was "yes!". Then she invited herself to the Buffalo Club.  Well something like that anyway. I told her to meet me at my house at 7 and we were going whether Chris messaged or not.  If all else failed, she and I could be each other's dance partners.

Sure enough, no Chris.  He messaged at 7:30 or so saying he was just getting home from work.  No worries, Linda and I were already on our "hot date".

This is where I should probably mention how much dancing means to me and how much it has brought into my life.  I have always been into music and performing ever since I was a little kid.  I found strength and peace in disco skating.  Playing the flue was my refuge from a rocky home life.  Going to jazz concerts and symphonies with my brother kept my heart open.  Singing kept me sane and gave me a voice.  And as I got older.. dancing at clubs gave me a place to express my feelings and let go and just BE.  Then came belly dancing.. something I have always wanted to do since I was a little girl.  In Belly Dance, I found power and beauty and grace.  I found a sisterhood. I found women building each other up.  I found a part of me that I didn't even know I was missing!  Then came Zumba.   Free, fun, wild, sexy...... LATIN dancing!  Nothing like shaking your hips!  Then came Burlesque.  In Burlesque I found my sexy sultry side.  I found my flirtatious silly side.  I found strength and grace.  I found forgiveness.  I found family (both male and female).  And Burlesque is where I met Linda........

Linda is firey and sassy like me.  Together we are nothing but trouble.  We perform well on a stage together. And we play well off of each other off stage.  And last night on our dance date was entirely too  much fun!!!!   We pulled into the Buffalo Club when all of a sudden I suggested we head to Latin Dancing night at the balcony and take classes with Natalie ... another friend brought to me through dancing/Zumba.  So that is what we did. At first it was just the 2 of us and Natalie and one man, Norberto.  Natalie played the male role and the 4 of us danced and switched partners.  And even on cue when told to switch partners, without blinking and eye, Linda and I pretended to go to each other.. and everyone laughed. (Linda and I just "perform" well together.)

But really, what I want to talk about, besides my amazing time with Linda is the dancing with Norberto.  There is one thing I have learned and really worked on over the years, is eye contact while dancing.  It's really hard to do and very distracting...and awkward with people you don't know.  You can see so much in people's eyes.  But last night as I danced with Norberto, we laughed and laughed.  So much joy in his eyes.  We fumbled and stumbled while we danced, and we laughed.  Then we would get something right and give each other high fives.   It was so much fun. Just being in the moment... feeling his hold, looking into his eyes, feeling the music and being present in that moment.  It was such therapy for me.  I spend so much time missing Nick and wishing he were still alive.  I spend so much time worrying about my family members and how we are all going to get through this grief.  That last night's dance with Norberto, was exactly what I needed.  Laughter, dancing, being in the moment.  It was a very special gift.

Burlesque also brought Ferryman into my life.  I will never forget the first time I saw him as an audience member at a Frankly Burlesque show.  He was an "all eyes on me" type of guy.  He wants the room to know he is there and there is no denying his presence.  Hey may be the male version of me.  *laugh* Not afraid to get up on stage and shake his tush for the world to see (and that is before becoming a burlesque performer).  Anyway, he is looking travel for his performances this summer.  And as a family does, we gather together to help make another family member's dreams come true.  We put together a massage party.  (Ferryman is a trained massage therapist).  Poor guy has been working 4 hours straight, but man does my body appreciate the massage after last night's dancing.  More importantly, he worked on my neck which apparently has been holding all of my grief.  And he is so sweet and compassionate and gave me hugs and kissed my head when he felt my sadness.

Yes, Dancing has brought me so much more than just some good times and exercise.  It has brought me family, sanity, laughter, joy, peace, strength, passion...and just soooooo much more!

I am so grateful for the people in my life.  I am grateful for the dance that is my life!

And now.. I'm off to take my daughter to her voice lessons and her dance lessons..... .and to buy dance shoes for tomorrow's belly dance performance!  Wheeeee!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment