Monday, August 19, 2013

My Heart Is So Full!

Have you ever had one of those nights where you go to bed so filled with joy that it is like next to impossible to go to sleep and you just can't stop smiling?  That has been me for the last week!  I know I have blogged several times in the last week so I will try not to re-type things.  However, to fully appreciate this huge smile on my face and the way my heart runneth over, some things will have to be repeated.

Last Sunday (a week ago) I had the Fuller Center for Housing Riders/Support Crew crash at my house.  With them, they brought so much joy and excitement.  They also brought one of my favorite people home to visit...Kurt Schneider and his new main squeeze Nadine.  This is important, because I got to spend a great deal of time with these two and really had so much fun with them!

One of the things I LOVE about the community that I live in, is that no matter where I go I am bound to run into someone I know.  Boise is a small "big city".  It is the capital of Idaho and according to Wikipedia,  "The 2012 U.S. Census Population Estimates that 212,303 people reside within the city.  The Boise metropolitan area is home to about 616, 500 people and is the most populous metropolitan area in Idaho, containing the state's three largest cities; Boise, Nampa, and Meridian."  (They didn't include Eagle in there, so throw a few more thousand people (21, 025) in there for good measure.)  I always find it entertaining that with 637, 525 people in my community, I am constantly running into people that I know and love when I am out and about.  Of course,  let's face it.  There is only 1 mall, 1 roller rink, 1 major downtown area where the bars, parties, Boise river, Boise greenbelt, and major events happen.  So if you are going to be at any of these places, you are bound to run into someone you know, especially if you have volunteered and are involved in organizations that seem to bring the polar opposites of the community together in your life.  Let's face it, being a spiritual hippy who volunteered for a seemingly "socialite" organization as well as an organization that helps with HIV/AIDS, and leading a girl scout troop, and doing roller derby (even for a short period of time) puts me in contact with a crazy amount of different kinds of people; then add trail running and working at the local ski hill to the mix and that pretty much covers everything my community has to offer!  *laugh*  And THIS is why I love where I live!

Anyway, last week, I got to celebrate life with a few thousand of my closest friends in a couple of different ways.  In doing so, I ran into lots of friends from various parts of my life and that added to my joy!

First up was Alive After Five.  This event is held every Wednesday in the summer time at "The Fountain at the Grove".  It's live music, dancing, food and beer, and don't forget running through the fountain!  It's great fun for the entire family and its free!  One of our favorite bands was playing there last week, so we HAD to go.  The Clumsy Lovers, a Canadian band that used to come to Boise often, was there.  They don't get to town very often anymore, so this was a MUST NOT MISS!





As soon as we got close to the band, I saw 5 people from my church, a friend I met through another friend while we were running/preparing for our mutual friends wedding at the Honolulu marathon.  I ran into a parent of one of my old girl scouts.  I saw a friend from the Junior League.  I ran into a friend from the roller rink.  And then Kurt and Nadine showed up with beers in hand!



We spent the rest of the evening dancing and drinking with them!  Nadine and I even ran through the fountain together.  Then it was off to Five Guys for Burgers and more laughing!

Thursday night came, and Kurt and Nadine came back to our place to stay for the rest of their visit in Boise.  I loved having them here!  My dogs loved having them here!  It was just a great time.

Friday night we all headed out to downtown Boise for the PreFat part.  Let the bikes, beer and dancing begin!  Once again, I ran into friends from church, friends from the burlesque world, and friends from the roller derby world.  Not sure how Boise can pack so many people into one little block without crazy stuff happening, but we did it!  Boise is filled with lots of people who just love to have a good time, and honestly there are a bunch of tree hugging peace spreading bike riding hippies in my town.  No wonder I fit right in!






After a fun night partying it up in downtown Boise, it was time to get all dressed up and head downtown to Ann Morrison Park for the Tour De Fat bike parade and party!  This was me and Tracy's first Tour De Fat. I can't believe we have lived here 11 years, and this is the first time we have gone!  It was so much fun!  We got dressed up in our finest Parrot Head attire.  Tracy was his usual pirate and I was the parrot.  We rode our tandem (that Kurt gave us last year) affectionately named "Ms. Piggy".  I love a great parade, but this one was like none other!  There was no corporate advertising.  The parade registration was a fund raiser for the local cycling community.  And everyone was just there to have a great time!

There were people handing out free ice cream cones.  People towing major sound systems behind their bikes and played some great partying music.  There were dogs jogging along side their owners or being carried in the baskets.  There were kids straddling the backs of the cargo bikes or in baby seats or being carried in tubs.  There were kids riding their own bikes.  There were lots of tandems with crazy costume clad riders.  There were "chopper" bikes.  There were people covered from head to toe in full body costumes and people dressed in just enough material to be considered legal (or at least not get arrested for indecent exposure)!  There were people of all kinds and shapes and sizes and colors!  It was the best example of the community that could have possibly been gathered!




 


 




Once the parade was over, the party really began!  Lots of dancing, live bands, carnival performers, fund raising, games, and trying out crazy bike inventions....not to mention all of the people watching!  Of course, this is where I ran into more of my friends.  I ran into Sunny and Phil (friends from church), friends from the burlesque world, Al from the rollerdrome, one of my old girl scouts (that wasn't awkward with my cleavage hanging out and 2nd beer in hand) and of course, Kurt and Nadine.




 
 
 
 

Not only did I get to have entirely too much fun with my best friend/hubby, but we got to be part of an amazing fundraiser adventure.  The news said 6,700 riders were in the parade and Tour De Fat was hoping to raise $60,000 for The Treasure Valley Cycling Alliance, Boise Bike Project and Southwest Idaho Mountain Biking Association!  This was the funnest fun(d)raiser I have ever attended.  I mean where else can I check off my bucket list item of riding a bike with shoes for tires????  YES!!!!

I truly live in THE BEST city in the USA. I know everyone says that about where they live or places they have visited and would LIKE to live.  But I am blessed to be able to LIVE in a place that provides so many opportunities to express the Joy that is my life!  How many people really get to say that?




No comments:

Post a Comment