Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Getting My Shimmy On

I am so excited to say that the recovery of "The Great Concussion of 2013" is just about at the end!
Yes, there may be a few things that linger, but since I did not have a headache at the end of yesterday's belly dancing class, I'm pretty confident that I see a definite end to this process!

Back in April, after experiencing severe headaches after practicing a belly dance routine, my concussion doctor told me to take a couple of more months off of dancing.  The combination of remembering choreography, the movement as well as the loud music was too much for the recovering brain to handle.  I decided to wait until after vacation to return.  I went last week and had a short lived headache and cried thinking I was never going to get better.  Then yesterday I went back to dance class and made it all the way through without a headache.  We even worked on 2 different choreographies. (one of which I have NEVER worked on).  



The next performance is the weekend of September 14-16. I have a month to learn a brand new choreography and get down the group one that I started to learn before I bonked my head.  In order to do that, I need to practice at home.  Practice!  Practice!  Practice!  



Since I managed to roll my ankle while trail running yesterday, I decided to rest my ankle and give it a day off of running and use the belly dancing a way to keep it loose.  Low impact joint movement is exactly what my ankle needs to stretch out and strengthen while it recovers.  So today, I bit the bullet and have spent HOURS dancing and practicing the new choreography.

Let me tell you, I can't NOT stop smiling.  Yes, I need to practice smiling while I dance, but that is beyond the point.  My SOUL is smiling!  I have missed belly dancing so much!  My moves are a little rusty, and its taking me a while to remember how to move my body in certain ways, but it feels exhilarating! There is nothing like the celebration of the Divine Feminine through dance!

Do I still have concussion symptoms, yes.  All of this dancing is making me a bit dizzy and I might not be thinking as clearly as I should be.  And my memory still kinda sucks.  BUT I'M DANCING!!!

This is another huge step to recovery and getting 
my life back, and I could not be more excited!  More importantly this means I get to dance with 
my beautiful daughter again!  I can't wait until September!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment