Monday, August 12, 2013

Feeling Very Blessed!


This is the first post in my new all encompassing blog.  I have been waiting for this day to post, and I'm so glad that I did.

Since the end of Spring last night's date (August 11th) has been on my calendar.  It was the night I was to host the Fuller Center for Housing cyclists/support crew.  I got to make dinner and breakfast for this crew and provide shelter for them to sleep.  These cyclists rode their bikes 3700 miles from Georgia to Vancouver, BC Canada and were now in the cars on their way back to Georgia.  

As you might have read in my previous blog, I was supposed to ride for the Fuller Center back in Spring, but could not due to the concussion I sustained while training for the ride.  Instead I rode the 400 miles here at home by myself in conjunction with the Summer Ride for the Fuller Center. Instead of riding with a team, I became a virtual rider and learned a great deal about myself. Even though I was riding by myself, the team supported me via Facebook and emails.  I was never really alone.  And while they rode across America, I followed along with the Facebook posts and my friend Kurt's posts.  It was exciting to watch them ride across America.  I have no idea how these amazing cyclists rode those long miles.  I did 400 miles and my body was NOT happy!  I thought I was permanently damaged.  It took me over a month to completely heal.  So to watch these women and men ride 3700 miles amazed me!

Having them in my home and listening to their stories and being able to share my story was an absolute blessing.  It cemented my role as part of the team, and I finally received my "work" T-shirt that I would have received if I had done my Spring ride.  I am so proud of my T-shirt and my riding jerseys.   It was an honor to raise the money for this charity, to ride my bike for them, to host the team and cook for them.  I don't think words can truly express how I feel about this, but that is okay.

I do not know if I will ride for/with them again.  I need a new bike first.  But I love the lessons I have learned from this amazing experience.  Hosting the team was the perfect closure to this experience, and with every ending, there is a new beginning (which makes this blog post very appropriate).  I'm ready.  BRING IT ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment