Monday, August 26, 2013

In a Tizzy for the Frenzy!

The Foothills 50K Frenzy is October 5, 2013.... 5 1/2 weeks away.  A 50K is 31 miles (in case you were wondering) which classifies it as an ultra-marathon.  This will be my very first ultra-marathon.  But before we talk about this, let's go back to 2006, shall we.

In April of 2006, I decided I was going to do a marathon (26.2 miles) by the end of the year.  The last race of the season was the City of Trees in November.  6 months training for someone who is not a runner is just plain nuts!  Add to that my weight and the fact that I couldn't even walk a mile without my feet hurting, that was even crazier.  I decided if I was going to do the marathon, I needed to go see a foot doctor.  I found the most amazing podiatrist, Dr. Dana Owen.  She is a marathoner herself.  After visiting with her, we decided I needed hard plastic orthotics to go inside of my running shoes.  I wasn't actually allowed to run until June (that's how long it took for my orthotics to come in and for me to get used to them.)

Since 2006, I have run 5 more marathons, all with my orthotics in.  At mile 13 (or so) my toes start to hurt, even with orthotics.  When I say hurt, I mean serious pain like I can barely take another step.  So at about mile 13 or 14 I end up taking a pain killer to make it through the remainder of the 26.2 miles.

The orthotics make it nearly impossible to find running shoes to fit my feet.  I need a very deep shoe other wise, the heals slip off.  It usually takes a couple of tries with different shoes, but I have been able to find a pair.  This year, I went to all 3 running stores in the area and the very last pair finally fit my shoes.  I bought them in May for my birthday.  I put 154 miles on them.  Then I realized last week, just before my morning run that there was a hole in my shoe!  I was not happy.  I even posted about that run and posted a picture, but just in case, here it is again.....


I bought these shoes at Shu's Idaho Running Company which always has great customer service.  However, when I bought the shoes, they had just changed their return policy which was not as liberal as it used to be.  So when I found the hole in my shoe, I didn't even try to take them back.  Instead, I wrote a letter to the manufacture (Montrail).  I posted about my email on the Boise Trail Runners group page on Facebook, and Mike (the owner of Shu's) suggested I take the shoes back to the store in which I bought them.  I immediately sent him a private message with my thoughts and he invited me in and said he would take care of me.  

I rushed down to the store.  Mike spent and hour with me and 2 other pairs of shoes. He is convinced that I no longer need my orthotics.  My orthotics will not fit into the shoes he had me try on.  He asked me to humor him and try running in these new Pear Izumi shoes and if they do not work and my toes hurt, I can bring them back.

Did I mention my race is in 5 1/2 weeks?  Not only do I need to break in a new pair of shoes, I now need to see if my toes can handle running long distances without orthotics.  This prospect scares the crap out of me!  One of the things that concerned Mike was that I rolled my ankle even with the orthotics in; he said that should not happen.

I see my Podiatrist tomorrow (because of my rolled ankle). I want to make sure that my foot is okay to continue the race and to get tips on how to tape it (if necessary) for the race and stuff like that.  I will also speak to her about Mike's recommendation to run without the orthotics.  

These are the pretty new kicks that Mike set me up with:



I'm not gonna lie.  I'm petrified and nervous to run without the orthotics.  Words can not describe the burning pain I have gotten in my toes in the past.  He told me to take them for a couple of runs and see how they feel.  If they don't work, I can take them back.  I made sure it would be okay to take them out for all of my runs this week, including my 22 mile long run in the mountains this Saturday.  If I can survive the 22 mile run Saturday, then I will be just fine.  

I'm torn.  Who do I listen to, the best shoe guy in town or my podiatrist?  

I'm telling you, if its not one thing its another with my body and running.  Feet/toes, knees, ankles!  I asked myself when I was running today, "Why do you run?"  And my answer was, "Because I do. It's what I do.  There is nothing else."  When its just me and the down hill side of a mountain, there is nothing better than just letting go and running.  There  are not thoughts..just the rhythm of my feet.  It's what I do.

So yes, 5 1/2 weeks till the Frenzy and I'm in a Tizzy!

PS.... Aren't my new kicks HAWT???!!!!

2 comments:

  1. i love the new colors! the bright colors match your bright personality! good luck on your marathon!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzy. I had to take them back...but that's okay. I dn't get to choose colors..I gotta focus on the shoe that is right for my foot :)

    ReplyDelete