Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Home Is Where the Trails Are

I know I have been blogging a lot lately.  I apologize if you are getting tired of reading my thoughts, and I thank you for sticking with me.

Yesterday was such a challenging day; I guess we need those in order to grow.  It's all good. I needed a good arse kicking by the universe :).  

Yesterday, my amazing hubby agreed to kick me out of bed when my alarm went off this morning.  He is the most supportive man.  That alarm clock goes off at some ungodly hour, and he is more than happy to push me out of bed to make me go run.  (Though I think he does this cause he knows what a grouch I will be if I don't run. So  maybe, his motivation is purely selfish *laugh*)  No. Seriously.  He is the best.  He has always been my biggest cheerleader and support system, and I love him dearly.  Even if at 5 AM he wakes me up and says, "Isn't your alarm set for 5 AM to go running? Why isn't it going off?"  I neglected to tell him that I set it for 5:30 instead of 5.  Oy!  And I didn't sleep much at all last night and was really hoping for a few more minutes of sleep.  As it turns out, I was awake at 5 anyway.  I probably should have just gotten up!  

Anyway, 5:30 the alarm went off and I rolled out of bed rather quickly.  I really don't like to linger too long in bed after an alarm goes off cause I know it messes with Tracy's sleep.  I got up, threw on the clothes and actually had breakfast here at home before leaving.  Just a protein drink and a banana, but that is a heck of a lot better than chocolate donuts and a diet coke!  

It was still dark, but over the back of my house I saw the glow of the full moon.  I was so excited to get out to the foothills and run under the Blue Moon!  It was absolutely beautiful!




Eventually the sun started to rise in the East, but the moon behind me was still up over the city....lingering in the pink and blue sky.  It was the most peaceful thing I have ever seen!



While I was running, there was a little bit of excitement and alarm as I noticed smoke in the next ridge over just North East of me.  This isn't the best picture, but see that darker smoke coming off of the mountains on the left side of the picture?  There was also smoke all along the ridge there.  After debating what to do, I finally called 911 to report it.  I had no idea how to report a fire I saw out in the distance. I knew it wasn't the Atlanta fire, and I had not heard of any fires out in the foothills.  The 911 operator went to check out the reports and found out that indeed one other person had called to report a fire near Shaw Mountain (Yup, that is what I was looking at); a car had started the fire.  Glad I stopped to report it.  More importantly, I am glad that I take the time to appreciate my surroundings when I run and am aware enough to notice this miles away from where I am.


I loved my run today!  I did my typical 6 mile route which is the beginning and ending of the Foothills Frenzy Course.  It's a nice easy way to ease back into training for this course.  I was really excited when I realized I did this 6 miles at a faster pace than my 4 mile street run yesterday!    Yesterday's run was 4 miles with a 237 feet elevation gain at a pace of 14:57. Today's run was 6 miles with a 708 feet elevation gain at a 14:54 pace.  Yes, those 3 seconds matter!



I came straight home after my run.  I even got home fast enough to take a shower and get the hubby to work. (He could have ridden his motorcycle but we like to spend time together.)  Anyway, after my run, I had some peanut butter crackers and finished my 2 liters of water in my hydration pack.  2 liters of water down before 9am.  YES!  I'm feeling so much better today.  Now to keep this up during my busy day of running around with the kiddos.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment