Tuesday, April 15, 2014

This, That and A Bit of Everything Else

Burlesque and The Cure For A Bad Attitude......

First things first... Burlesque!!!

Last Saturday, I had the most fun taking a Bare Necessities 3 Hour Burlesque Workshop with Frankly Frankie (one of Boise's Burlesque performers).  She graduated with a degree in theater, and she is talented in so many ways.  She teaches a Burlesque class at a local dance studio, and I signed up for 5 classes, but only managed to get to 1 before my back got so bad.  I was really sad because the class was learning choreography with the intention of performing at her monthly performance at Pengilly's Saloon.

Anyway, when I saw she was offering a 3 hour workshop and would be teaching us a choreography with a boa, gloves and teaching us how to make pasties and twirl tassels, I could not resist!  I had to take the class.  The class ended up being small with 5 students of varying ages and body types.  We also had varying degrees of comfort(ability) with our bodies and how much we wanted to show off.  This is one of the reasons I love Burlesque.  It doesn't put a size limit on performers and it encourages women to perform to their (comfort)ability and grow.  To me, it is much like bellydancing in that respect.  It's about celebrating our femininity.

A little while ago, I had a conversation with a friend who is also a bellydancer.  We were talking about Burlesque and she shared her opinion with me about Burlesque in Boise.  She mentioned that she thought that Burlesque in Boise is lacking in dance.  She felt as though there should be more dance than strutting from one side of the stage to the other while you teased and stripped.  I had to think back to all of the Burlesque shows I have been to.  None of them are like the movie Burlesque.  But there are a few here in town which offer more than just stripping.  There IS dancing.  There is singing.  There is comedy.  And yes, there is the sensual tease of undressing to a degree.  So when I went to class with Frankie and she started going over the "general dance moves" of Burlesque, I realized that most of the general dance moves are the SAME as belly dancing and if I paid enough attention to the performer on stage, I would see these moves being performed.  And there IS dancing..but it really just depends on the performer.  So I was excited to learn what Frankie had to teach us and really see what can be done.....

We started with learning the choreography with the Boa.  Then it moved to learning how to seductively take off the long gloves.  Then we learned how to tantalize our audience by removing our bras (to show off our beautiful pasties with tassels attached).  Then it was on to learning how to twirl the tassels...which is NOT an easy task.  It really is a skill to be learned (much like hula hooping, in my opinion).  Actually, it felt like hula hooping...."How do I get these things to spin the way I want them to?!!!"  There are several different methods in which to spin the tassels, and I finally found the way that works and looks more elegant for my body.

The whole choreography is beautiful, sensual, and just plain fun to dance!  And for the first time since I have decided to play with Burlesque, I actually felt sensual and graceful as opposed to completely awkward and quirky!  Maybe there is hope for my sexy side, yet!  *laugh*

The best part was learning how to spin those tassels.  Why?  Because that is where you can let it all hang out... and NO, I'm not just talking about breasts.  I'm talking about body image insecurities.  Women, we are are our worst critics!  And we think the rest of the world is going to judge us.  It's like being in that stupid junior high or high school locker room all over again!  "What is she going to think about me if I show that much skin?"  "My boobs are bigger/smaller than hers."  "I'm old, and my boobs hang down to my knees..not like the 20 something next to me who still has perky ones!"  *laugh*  "Look at my belly and its stretch marks from having 3 babies!"  Then it switched to, "Wow!  Look at your beautiful tattoos!"  "It's okay, if you don't want to get down to a bra." "It's okay, if you don't want to lose the bra."  "EVERYTHING is okay..there are no judgements here."  Then we all played to our comfort(ability) and what happened was absolutely glorious!  We all learned to spin those freakin' tassels, and we all laughed, and we all played.   In that moment, we were all one with nothing separating us.  We all just celebrated being sexy, silly, and learning something new!  It was a magical moment.  And when we did the entire choreography, what we saw in the mirrors was phenomenal!  A group of 6 women (including Frankie) being sassy, sexy, empowered, and having entirely too much fun! It was a beautiful thing!

This is a group picture of our Burlesque class


We have the possibility to perform this choreography 3 times in May...right after my 45th birthday.  Today I was thinking, if I actually do this, I think I may be the oldest Burlesque performer in Boise.  *laugh*  Not sure if that is a good thing.  Why have I waited so long to follow some dreams?  I was fresh meat for Roller Derby at the age of 41 when most people were retiring at that age.  I never made it on to the team...my knees are just too old for that.  But I had a great time.  Now, I'm looking at Burlesque at 45 years old.  I guess its better late than never.

After the Burlesque class, Tracy and I joined Frankie at a Burlesque show in downtown Boise.  I didn't take any pictures there, but it was tons of fun, and I loved sitting next to Frankie and listening to her comments :).  Frankie won the raffle that night, which included a set of pasties that were made by the gorgeous Dottie Minx.  They would not fit Frankie so she gave them to me.  I'm so excited!!!  They are beautiful, and I'm going to add some more bling to them, and they will be perfect for our performance.

The top pair with the black tassels are the ones
from Burlesque class.  the bottom pair with white
tassels are the ones that Dottie Minx made and 
Frankie won and gave to me.  Yay!!!

They are so beautiful.  I'm going to add just a bit more bling
to them I think..to add some more color :).

Sunday night we went to see Frankly Burlesque and cheer on
Frankly Frankie and the rest of the performers.  This is Frankly Frankie
and her partner is crime, Dan Costello.

The Fabulous Dottie Minx

Frankly Frankie and Dan Costello


So, my weekend was filled with lots of fun and creativity!  I do love dancing in all of its forms.  I love performing, no matter what it is.  And it really makes me think about what brings me the most joy.  Of course, all of that fun came with a price....my back hurt and by Sunday night, I was taking pain killers which had me sleeping the day away on Monday.

Today, I woke up feeling like it's Monday instead of Tuesday.  I had crazy, bad dreams which did not help my mood upon waking up.  Then I had to go to the grocery store, but felt horribly uninspired in the cooking department.  That makes it very difficult to want to go to the store. Plus my back was hurting and I knew this was going to be a painful shopping trip.  Eventually, I got the grocery list made and I drove to the store. Once I got there, I was grumpy still.  I sat in my car trying to figure out reasons to NOT go in. I have NEVER felt this way about grocery shopping.  Finally, I just shut the car off and gathered all of my momentum and headed into the store.  I shopped, and it took all I had not to bite off every person who decided to block an isle with their cart or whatever.  It doesn't help that while I was shopping I got a call from the dentist. I No-showed.....AGAIN!  I have officially become one of THOSE people. I NEVER used to do that.  And that made me even angrier at myself.  Finally back in my car, with an aching back, I just hoped Nate would be home to help me get the groceries in.  When I got home, I found he was not.  I sat in my car for a bit before deciding to just suck it up and do it myself.

Once I got all of the groceries in the house, I knew my attitude was very VERY bad.  I had even mentioned it to Tracy.  And he asked me, "Is life really that bad?"  Well, NO.  It's not.  So I decided I needed to focus on what I am grateful for.  First of all there is this......

I have the money to go grocery shopping and fill my cupboards 
and refrigerator with food for my entire family.

I have a car that can get me to the grocery store.

Even if I am in pain, I can still get myself to the grocery store and shop.

I have healthy and amazing children.

I have a fantastic husband who supports me in all the crazy things I do.

I have dance.

I can read.

I have choice.

I have love.

I have laughter.

I have a beautiful home to live in.

There is so much to be grateful for... including this...

I LOVE ICE!  But not just any ice.  I LOVE SOFT CRUNCHY HOSPITAL ICE!
Nugget Ice making it into Maverik just about made my day!!!!  I will pay the price for the cup just to get ice to munch on!!!!

So there you have it.. the cure for a bad attitude... Gratitude!  What are you grateful for?






No comments:

Post a Comment