Monday, March 14, 2016

Marcy 14, 2016 (Rounded Pi Day). My Pi Day Epiphany

To most everyone out there today (March 14th or 3/14 or 3.14) is a normal day.  Some celebrate it with pie because its 3.14 (the shortened numerical equation for Pi).  For our family it goes much deeper.  No one in our family was born on this day, and no one has died on this day.  However, it was Nick's favorite number.  Nick was a scientist....a physicist.  He loved the fact that it was irrational and could not be put into a box.. rather it is used to describe the circumference of a circle.  It is a transcendental number; "It is impossible to solve the ancient challenge of squaring the circle with a compass and straightedge." ~ wikipedia

He loved this number so much that he created a tattoo and  had it placed on his right forearm.  It was Pi to the 30th digit done in a counter clockwise circle (because that is how scientists do things... that is a whole different idea that my brain has a hard time wrapping its head around so I won't blog about it.  Its had enough understanding Pi).  The funny thing is, I never understood, until today, why his tattoo was done in a circle.  When you see his tattoo (and since his death, all of our  memorial tattoos), you would not recognize it as a symbol for Pi, but that is exactly what it is.  Now learning (or maybe re-learning) its correlation to a circle, it makes sense.

But today, this blog is not so much about about his tattoo or even about the numbers that it represents.

Being a big day for our family to remember Nick, we have invited a few people over for Pi and Cards Against Humanity.  I was in the kitchen making Pies when I had this epiphany.

The numerical equation of Pi never ends, like a circle never ever ends.  It was Nick's favorite number for these reasons.  Then BAM!  Just like that I hear Nick's voice,  "Mom, just like Pi, I will never end.  I will be with you forever."  It gave me chills and brought a smile to my face.  I know Nick will always be part of me and will always watch over us.  But today, of all days, to hear this was pretty cool.  That is when I did some research on "Pi" I saw the word transcendental and how this number does not conform and refuses to be measured by any other numerical standard, I realized it was Nick.  Nick refused to be measured by any other standard.  He was irrational.  And now, he is literally transcendental.  It warms a mom's heart.

So yes, Pi Day, is very special to our family.  Happy Pi Day!  And, Nick, Happy Pi Day to you too, my sweet boy!!!  Thanks for being brilliant!  Thanks for being irrational!  Love you, Kiddo!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment