Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 26, 2015 The Waves Just Keep Crashing

The waves of grief just sneak right up...just as a hurricane is heading for Florida. I feel like that hurricane is at my shore right now.  The winds have kicked up.  The waves are crashing in.  They are over my head and I feel like I might drown.

Last Friday morning on my last day of vacation, I woke up with horrible nightmares.  In my dream I was thrashing and screaming and crying and begging for this all to not be true.  I was an absolute mess.  I stood in the shower and cried as the water washed over me.  I stepped out of the shower and grabbed the towel to dry off and ended up clutching the towel and crumbling to the floor in a crying mess.

Ever since that morning, I have had 3 more bad dreams about losing Nick.  I feel the grief consuming me again.  I'm angry again.  I just want to plow someone over (like that is going to bring my son back).

Then today as I was feeding my emotions (ya.. I know what I said in my blog yesterday) I was looking for some diet coke and I opened up the cabinets we have our alcohol glasses in (as well as the cokes with names of the kids on them).  I saw a diet coke with  Nick's name.  I smiled and shook my head and said, "Not today, Nick, I'm okay."  I found a different diet coke to drink.

Then I came back to my computer.  My heart was feeling heavy and the food I was feeding my emotions with just wasn't really helping.  Then I opened my email.  There was an email from a Dr. Lazarus from FIT.  I don't recall ever meeting him.  But he sent me an email with an attachment.  It was a peer review in which Nick was a co-author.  Again it was about lightning.  Dr. Lazarus wanted us to have this paper.  He wanted us to know that Nick was missed and how much he enjoyed working with Nick.

I forwarded the email to Tracy and Suzy and I cried.  The hurricane winds picking up and the waves crashing at my shores.  I sure will be glad when this most recent storm of grief passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment