Friday, October 18, 2013

Two Weeks Post Frenzy

I know it's hard to believe.  But for the last 2 weeks Post Frenzy, I have been kind of speechless.  I have hopped on here and tried to type out different blogs, but even though I think deeply, the words I type just don't seem to do my thoughts justice.  

After reading so many of my friends' race reports from The Frenzy and watching them on Facebook, I realize that I am not alone with this feeling I have been experiencing.  It is kind of like a "let down" and kind of "blah" and "What now?"  I've been told it is part of the recovery process.  Just ride the wave...

For the first week after The Frenzy, I really had to let an ugly heel blister heal.  I could not even put on regular shoes of any sort without lots of pain.  Finally, 8 days after The Frenzy, I was able to put on running shoes for the marathon that I volunteered for.  But after 8 hours in the shoes, my heel needed another day to recover.  Finally on Tuesday, I was able to go out shoe shopping.

Actually, on Tuesday, I did quite a bit of shopping.  My goal for the day was to buy a new pair of running shoes, the book I Am Malala, and a new foot for my sewing machine.  

First up, were the shoes.  In an effort to avoid blisters on my toes, I ran The Frenzy in a pair of very comfy but worn out trail shoes.  I ran 32 miles without blisters on my toes, but the worn out heels caused a blister on the back of my heel.  It was imperative that I find new shoes so I could get back out to the trails!  After all of the shoe drama in the last couple of months, I really just wanted to head to a "big shoe store" so I wouldn't have a sales person helping me. I realize that is their job, but with my difficult feet, I always feel so stressed.  I decided to head to the Reebok Outlet store.  I tried on a pair of trail running shoes.  They were entirely too tight in the toe box.  Then the sales lady (Ya I couldn't shake a sale person, even here) showed me the All Terrain shoes.  They look like crazy outer space shoes, but as soon as I put them on, they were so comfortable!  I bought them.  The funny thing is, after I bought them, I had this weird sense of "I didn't buy from one of the 'real running stores'.  I didn't buy big name brand, top of the line running shoes.  What if they don't last?"  (Never mind that the last 2 pairs of big name brand fancy shoe store shoes have not lasted more than 125 miles before showing serious wear and tear or giving me blisters.  AND they were more expensive.)




After a successful trip to the shoe store, I headed to the book store. I picked up the last I Am Malala book off the shelf, then went to the running book section.  (Yes, I know I am addicted to all things running.)  I just bought a pair of Reebok shoes and I have questions about how long they will last.  I need to keep track of the miles I put on them.  I also wanted to keep track of my training.  So I picked up a workout log.  I could have picked up a purely running log, but I also want to incorporate more than just running into my workouts.  I need more strength and flexibility training!  I will use the log to keep track of all of this.

After the book store, I headed to the sewing machine store and got what I needed there.  Now I can finish the Belly Dancing costume up-cycle project that I am working on! Yay!!!!


After a crazy week, I was FINALLY able to get out onto the trails.  I almost didn't want to go out there.  It's been so long since I have been running; it was getting to that point where it was easier to NOT go out (even if I missed it).  On the drive out to the trails, I still hadn't decided which trail I wanted to run.  But I knew I wanted to start with 6 miles.  Once on the highway, I decided on Polecat.  I love that 6 mile loop.

It was a gorgeous, cool morning on the trail, but I dressed entirely too warm.  I thought I was gonna keel over and die from heat!  *laugh*  I guess I now know that my new gloves and wool base layer shirt are going to be warm enough.  *laugh*  

Anyway, I did my fastest 5K (street or trail) on this course today. I did it in 41 minutes 35 seconds with a 13:26/mile pace.  I finished the entire trail with a new PR for me!  I finished the trail in 1:28:58 for 6.34 miles.  My previous time was 1:31:24 for 6 miles.  Go me!!!!





So now that I have completed the goal of The Frenzy, what's next?  I have decided that I want to learn to run this hills.  I want to run up them.  I also want to get faster in my trail running (learning to run up the hills will work with that).  I want to increase my endurance (again learning to run up hill will help).  I am going to train for Wilson Creek Frozen 50K and my biggest "race of the season" will be in March at the 6/12/24/48 hour Pickled Feet race; I will do my first 50 miler.  So those are my goals for the next 5 months.  The longer term goals include 2 more ultras....Silver City 50K in June and then the Frenzy again next October.  (I might throw in a road marathon and road half marathon just to test my timing on the road again this year. I would like to finish a marathon in 6 hours or under and a 1/2 marathon in 2:30.)  I have one other major goal; to be able to completely run Polecat without walking!  

With goals set (while I was running), I spent some time really enjoying the feeling of being able to do what I love.  November 6, 2006, I completed my first marathon.  I walked the entire thing and I swore I would never do that (a marathon) again!  Now look at me!  All the way through my run today, I kept saying, "You are an ultra marathoner!  You can do anything!"  I LOVE RUNNING and when I think about how I felt about my first marathon and how I feel now, it brought me to tears.  

Here's to a great running season next year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment