Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Getting Faster and Feeling Beat Up......

Just another day of training *laugh*

So I have started a new training plan with the 50 Mile run in March in sight.  Between now and then, there will be a 50K trail race in there, but I'm pretty certain this training plan that I am using will work for both races.  Here is the first paragraph of my training plan that I will  use for the first 6 weeks (this week being week 1).

"BASE:  6 weeks
You can begin with only 20 miles per week, but build to 35 miles before starting the next phase.
MON:  Easy run Start with 3 miles and work up to 5 or 6 by week 6.
TUE:  Strength workout 10 minutes of abdominal work, plus 1x12 reps of squats, lunges, calf raises, dips, and bench presses.
WED:  Easy run 4 to 5 miles, adding a few hills each week.  By week 6 the run should be mostly hills. This can either be a continuous run on hilly terrain or repeats on one short, steep hill.
THU:  Strength workout with Optional 30 to 45 minutes of low-intensity cross-training (XT) or easy running.
FRI:  Rest
SAT:  Long, slow run.  Start with 60 to 90 minutes and add 15 to 30 minutes each week.  IF your race is off-road, do this run on trails.  After 6 weeks, this run should cover 12 to 14 miles.
SUN:  Rest or walk/jog 2 miles."

This seems like a smart plan to me.  Especially since I just completed my first 50K 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I may have a tendency to over train and not let my body rest.  I let it rest for a week and a half but then right back to 6 miles on the trails (which I think is okay).  But I am very tempted to go do 20 miles this weekend with some friends, and I do have a 22 mile run planned for NEXT week. *laugh*  Anyway, I think starting at these lower mileage weeks will help my body to continue to rest while I build back up to the peak.  Also, I have not been very good about incorporating strength training into my training routine (or stretching for that matter).

So my plan is to follow this schedule relatively closely.  This past Monday I ran 5 1/2 miles or so.  Yesterday, I did 15 minutes of yoga, 12 squats, 24 walking lunges (12 on each leg), 12 calf dips/raises on my stairs), 75 crunches, and 10 push ups.  I also did an hour of belly dancing.

Today, I did my first road running in over a year.  I did a 5K, my fastest 5K in 41:01 with a 13:13 pace.  During this run, I also started a new pacing procedure I plan to use for my 50 mile race.  Since the 50 mile race will be on flat trail, I decided to use the 5 minute run 1 minute walk pacing routine.  So today that is what I started.  It was hard.  I mean genuinely hard.  I am not entirely certain why.  Maybe it's because it's the road which is more jolting on my body. Maybe it was because it was all in my mind.  Maybe it was because it was more flat and up hill rather than lots of fun down hills (so I had to work harder than my running on the down hills on the trails).  So a 13:26 pace on a trail (my last 5K pace) will have LOTS of down hill that has me running faster on the downhill making up for the slower up hills, but the 13:13 pace on the street has me running mostly flats with a few up hills that *might* lead to a gradual down hill, but not necessarily since I turn on to different streets at the tops of these hills.  So I am working harder for that 13:13 pace than I am for that 13:26 pace.  Anyway, I think that it may be a combination of my head games and the road.  Either way, I did my fastest 5K today and I will get used to the 5:1 routine in time.


Today, my body is feeling pretty sore. Almost as sore as it felt after my 50K.  I am not sure why.  Though I think it was the road mileage and the yoga from yesterday *laugh*.

And since I did NOT like YogaX yesterday (I have NEVER liked that program, even when I was doing P90X on a regular basis), I decided to purchase a new yoga program that is geared for beginners that includes a 20 minute program for the mornings and a 15 minute one for the evening and a 40 minute pose instructional program.   I think the 20 minute morning program will be perfect for my Tuesday/Thursday training days.


I have also been keeping up with my training log.  I really like it.  I am able to log about how I am feeling about my training and keeping track of the mileage of my shoes, which I am still really liking.


No comments:

Post a Comment