Friday, October 25, 2013

Pre-Mature Blogging......

It happens, get over it.

This week isn't really over with yet (thus the premature blogging), but I really wanted to blog today. I have stuff in my head!  *laugh*  Besides, for the most part, I am done with my training for the week, so I think it's safe to blog.

This was my first week with the new training plan.  According to my plan, for the first week, I have 2 rest days (Friday with total rest and Sunday with active rest) and I should get in 20 miles.  I have been playing and tweaking with things trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.  This is really the first time I have tried to follow a plan like this.  I have followed marathon training (almost to a T) and with my 50K training I tried to keep up with (with the exception of my injury breaks).  But both of those plans were just mileage plans and not really the strengthening stuff.  (Even if I did do dancing, skating, and weight lifting in the mix of it all.)

Anyway, this week went pretty well I think.  My mileage, as it stands right now, is 18.98 miles for the week.  So I'm just 1.2 miles behind the minimum goal.  I want to go for a walk with Tracy this weekend to look at the pretty fall leaves, so I will get the miles in.

As for the strength training days, I have been doing the recommended squats and stuff.  I have also incorporated Yoga.  Like I mentioned before, I did not like the YogaX so I went out and bought a Gaiam Yoga for Beginners DVD.  I did the 20 minute work out yesterday morning.  It's funny.  The 15 minutes of YogaX about killed me and the 20 minutes of this beginner's Yoga was like nothing.  I feel like I need to meet somewhere in the middle.  Just not sure where that middle is!  I also do some extra stretching on these days.

Ya know, I find it really "easy" to follow the physical part of a training regimen, but the food part I just rebel against.  That is the only way I can describe it.  I have all kinds of dedication and stick-to-itiveness when it comes to working out, but food?  Don't leave an open bag of Goldfish around me!!!  I gotta get that reigned in!  I need to create  a food plan and stick to it!

So what has it felt like to stick to this training regimen?  My body feels sore!  To be fair, the training regimen says that TODAY (Friday) should be a rest day, with my Long Run being tomorrow with an active rest day on Sunday to follow.  However, I don't like to do my long runs on Saturdays if I can avoid it.  I like to spend time with my family.  Although, to be fair an 8-10 mile run on a Saturday would not take away much time from my family.  So maybe I need to be really honest here.  I like to sleep in all cuddled up with my hubby, and rolling out of bed on a cold Saturday morning to go outside and run just doesn't sound like as much fun!  *laugh*  There.. I've said it.  It's out in the open now!

So today, without a rest day, I went out on a "Long Run".  It was only 8 miles in the foot hills with 1,170 ft elevation gain in 2:27 hours.  But since my longest run this week was only a little over 5 miles, this fits the bill as a long run.  The training plan also says my long run should be 60 to 90 minutes for the first week.  *laugh*  I don't think my mileage and their timing are going to equal out!  *laugh*  But in terms of a 50 Mile Race or in any ultra marathon, the most important thing is time on you feet.  Anyway, today, I went out for that Long Run without a rest day and my legs were very tired and sluggish to begin with.

I went with my friends Mary and Kim for Kim's 50th birthday.  Mary planned the route which took me to trails I have never been on.  It included a trail called Sidewinder that had some pretty serious climbs that I'm not certain my body and mind were really ready for.  However, I did find myself running more up hills than normal.  Kim is a bit faster than me and I decided to push myself to keep up with her.  Actually, I think we make a pretty good running match.    It was a truly beautiful day to be out there running.  And as usual the Boise Foothills are just amazing!  I'm so blessed to have them as my play ground and training grounds!  Even feeling a bit sluggish, this pace was at a little over a 16 minute/mile pace for us and that was with some stopping to remove jackets and such.  So all in all, even with feeling sluggish, I think we made pretty decent time for the 8 miles we were out there for.  We did an out and back. so all of that climbing meant we got to run down hill on the way back to the cars.  I love running down hill :).


After my run, I came home and stretched in the hot shower (like I normally do) but my body is still feeling pretty sore.  My plan is to rest this weekend with either Saturday or Sunday as a day to go for a little, easy hike to look at the pretty trees....probably Sunday. My legs need to rest.

The jury is still out on my crazy looking shoes.  They now have 25.32 miles on them.  They need a good 20 miler to see if they will keep my feet blister free.  (That 20 miler is scheduled for next Friday with the girls.)   Anyway, the great news is, they are finally dirty and they look like trail runner shoes now!  Yay!!!!  I love when my running shoes get dirty!

One last final thought.....

Yesterday, I was talking to Tracy about the new shopping center/mall that was built in Meridian, Idaho.  It's called The Village and it has a few upper-end stores and restaurants like The Loft and Kona Grille.  Tracy asked me if I was gonna go shop there.  And honestly, I don't think it looks like any big deal really.  AND, I do not shop at The Loft.  Actually, we have that store in the local mall a few miles away from home and Naomi and I go in there and laugh at the prices.  I laughed and joked with Tracy, "I raised our daughter right!" (In reference to not wanting to pay for over priced clothing.)  Yes, there are some things I am willing to pay good money for, but really, I just do not see the need to spend $100 on a pair of pants (on a regular basis).  I LOVE a good bargain!  However, with that said, I am more than willing to spend $100 on a pair of running shoes or running tights or a nice running jacket. *laugh* "You might be a runner if.......your running clothes are more expensive than your regular dress clothes."

Have a great day everyone!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment