Friday, September 27, 2013

Back in the Saddle!

After a few cold and rainy days here in Boise, we got a bright sunshiny day today!  But the trails still need to dry out.  Instead of running, I went for a bike ride. This was my first bike ride since I did the 400 mile ride back in June.

It was a little chilly so tights and long sleeves were required, but it was such a pretty day!  I was so happy to be back on the greenbelt with my bike. I had no idea how much I had missed my bike or how much I had missed riding on the greenbelt. Back in June, I was so tired of looking at the greenbelt and so tired of riding my bike. *laugh*


Today was a new day! I really had forgotten how beautiful my city is.  I had also forgotten how BUSY it is, especially at the parks during the school year.  At Julia Davis Park, there are 2 museums and the Zoo.  It is the Mecca for all school buses on field trips!  Then there are all the charter/private schools around downtown that use the parks for different things or the greenbelts to walk on.  And right across the river from Julia Davis Park is Boise State University so there is all that traffic too.  Then you get to add all of the runners and cyclists out enjoying such beautiful weather!  It was BUSY and so much fun!  I loved seeing all of the people out there.  I loved seeing the huge amounts of children out there enjoying their freedom from the typical classroom settings.  There were so many smiles out there today.  Then of course, there were my favorite giraffes at the zoo and all the squirrels and geese!


It was also a great day for detours and working on the greenbelt.  A few miles after I started on the north side of the greenbelt, the greenbelt was closed between 2 parks so I had to go ride on Chinden Street (too busy), but at least I was going in the right direction to easily get on and off the street.  I just didn't want to have to come back that direction. So on the ride back to the car, I took the south side of the greenbelt.  That was okay, except for the retired people in their scooters who insisted on either taking their half out of the middle and swerving and not listening to my yell of "on your left" or just cutting me off and making me swerve to miss them (and the obstacles poles at the same time).  Once I passed the scooter brigade, I came across a big ol' truck taking up the entire greenbelt.  It was some kind of work truck.  As I got closer, I noticed a line going from the truck up towards a tree to my left.  Then I saw a guy at the tree with a saw trying to saw the tree down.  The guys at the truck told me to hurry and go under the line.  Nothing like playing limbo on my bike while riding off the path (which reminds me I should look for thorns in my tires now).  Once I cleared the line, I heard one worker tell another worker that they need to block of the path where I had just came from because that tree was coming down any second.  Great.  I just missed being plummeted by a tree!  That would have made for a great story!  Hey! I was wearing my helmet; I was prepared!

Thankfully, I made it  back to my car unscathed; after all, I do have an ultra marathon next Saturday!  I also finished this ride with the fastest pace I have ever peddled!  13.87/miles per hour!  My previous fastest time 13.18/miles per hour and that was a fluke; all of the times around that ride were in the 12/miles per hour mark.  Anyway, as I rode today, I experienced my fastest mile ever which was just over a 2 minute mile!  I was so excited!


It was a great ride today!  Now to reel in the work outs and let my body really rest for next week's race!

No comments:

Post a Comment