Monday, November 4, 2013

Are you HWP, BBW, BHM, BMW, FFA, or FA? Do you even know what they mean?

What kind of labels do you give yourself and what does that say about you?

I will admit it, every once in a while I get on the Craigslist Personal Ads and peruse.  Being a bisexual woman, sometimes, I think I would like a girlfriend, but I rarely respond to any of these ads.  I would rather let things happen naturally (but that would mean I would need to hang out with other bisexual women, and well most don't advertise it with a label on their shirt)!  Anyway,  mostly I just look through the personals and say to myself, "What the heck does THAT mean, and how would I even answer that question?"

Last week, I came across an ad that sounded very interesting.  She seemed like a woman I could hang out with.  However, in her request for women to respond, she asked that they be HWP.  That got me thinking about these labels:

HWP = Height Weight Proportionate (usually meaning someone who fits the usual BMI chart of what is healthy)
BBW = Big Beautiful Woman (usually reserved for women who are obese...or at least that is the way it is understood when looking at it)
BHM = Big Handsome Man
BMW = Big Mexican Woman (So I supposed BBW could also stand for Big Black Woman? *shrug*)
FFA = Fat Female Admirer or Female Fat Admirer
FA = Fat Admirer

When I read that lady's request for a HWP female, it made me think about MY body.  I am 5'4"(ish) and weigh 190# (ish).  According to BMI charts that is obese and NOT HWP.  According to those charts, I should be 5'4" weighing in at the heaviest part at 145#.  However, I am a size 10 or 12 depending on the clothing.  My friends tell me I look "tiny" (though I think that is probably an exaggeration and certainly not a word I would use to describe myself).  However, I would never describe myself as a BBW (that is the way I used to describe myself at a size 18, 20, 22 and 24). What I do know is that I am an ultra marathoner, I am healthy fit and strong.  I do have some extra fat I could stand to lose and some extra skin from having lost the weight I have already lost.  I have a body that has had 3 c-sections so there are those affects on my body as well.  So ya.....just wasn't sure how to respond to that woman's post and it gave me pause......

All of these acronyms and descriptions are based on someones appearance.  While I understand that most people of the world have attraction to certain physical types (or quite the opposite and are completely turned off by certain physical types), I wonder what the world would be like if we placed personal ads that did NOT have any type of physical descriptions at all.  What if we placed personal ads strictly based on our personal attitudes, out look on life, personal interests, hobbies, spiritual beliefs, political beliefs.  What if we posted about the personality characteristics that we find sexy?  What if we posted about what we thought were our best personality characteristics?  What would happen if we chose to tell a story about a time that we overcame one of our fears or about one of our greatest adventures or something we were most proud of?  How would the dating world be different?

Here is my challenge to you.  I don't care if you are married, single, have multiple relationships or just aren't interested in a relationship.  I challenge you to write a personals ad (even if its just for your own personal review) describing yourself without describing any of your personal traits.  Also include what you are looking for in a mate without describing personal traits.  See what you can come up with.  And if you are brave enough..if you are looking for someone to date, post that ad on a place like Craigslist and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment