Monday, December 16, 2013

No Big Revealing Secrets Today....

Just back to lacing up my running shoes!

After a 5 week break from running, I needed to get back to it!  I have missed it!  My emotional state has really missed it!  Bronchitis took me out originally, then an emotional roller coaster took all of my energy then it got really really cold (like in the negatives) and snowed!  It's been a crazy 5 weeks, I tell ya.  And to be totally honest, I am not thrilled with running out in the snow. If it is fresh snow, that is great, but the melted snow that has been refrozen scares me.  I am terrified of falling and hitting my head again this year.  I still have bouts of TBI related issues.  My head is super sensitive still.  I couldn't find my Yak Trax so going out in the ice did not sound like my idea of fun.  But today I HAD to get back to it.  There are only 15 weeks till the 100 mile race I want to do in March.  I need to get back on my feet.

So today, with the fog still lingering and the cold and the snow still on the ground, I headed out to run along the irrigation canal.  The snow was still soft and there was no ice so I felt pretty safe.  Today's run called for 6 miles.  The first 15 minutes was PAINFUL!  Even with gloves on my fingers, they felt like they were going to turn blue.  Finally, my body warmed up and my fingers were allowed to warm up and I was fine.  Running along the canal in the fog was a bit eerie.  I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me (if that far).  The trees and bushes were covered in ice crystals that were just gorgeous.  And it didn't take long for ice crystals to form on what strands of hair were peaking out of my warm head gear.







I ran 6 miles with a 14:12 pace.  It's not the fastest I have ever run, but it certainly wasn't the slowest.  This was  a totally flat run, which is what the 100 miles will be.  I miss the mountain trails, but with the 100 miles being flat, I need to train for those.  I need to be able to run with my own two feet propelling me (not gravity going downhill).

I'm certain I had some pretty profound thoughts today, but for the life of me, I can't remember what they were.  I do know that it felt great to be out running again.  I feel like I have spent the last 5 weeks doing alot of crying and pulling my hair out and really just feeling like I was going no where.  I had sat still for so long, I almost completely gave up on my dreams and goals.  I was ready to sit still and become a couch potato again, and that is NOT good.  I'm glad I got myself out there today!!!  And this is the song that played today that made me smile and made me remember what I am doing.. and where I am going....


No matter what happened in the last 5 weeks, I need to stay focused.  Life will always provide little road blocks and challenges to test me to see just how much I want something.  Well I WANT THIS!!!  I want the 100 miler belt buckle!  I want to say that I have done something that seems so dang impossible!

What is it that you hunger for?  What drives you?  And what are yo doing to get it????  Never give up!!!  It's yours!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment